AREA OF CONCERN: HIGH E.COLI AND APC COUNTS FOUND IN MECHANICAL SEPARATION MEAT PREPARATION
Sterilex was contacted by a large turkey processor who was experiencing high E. coli and APC counts in their process of preparing mechanically separated turkey.
The standard operating procedure for the area was to disassemble the production equipment and foam with a chlorinated detergent. After pre-operational inspection the equipment was treated with a quaternary ammonium based sanitizer. This process was completed on a nightly basis.
Sterilex proposed the following actions:
- Utilize Sterilex Ultra Disinfectant Cleaner/Activator as an intermediate step between cleaning and sanitizing.
- The Sterilex product should be used at a 1:1:10 concentration and allowed to dwell for a minimum of 10 minutes.
- This process should be followed for a minimum of five consecutive days before amending the frequency of use.
- E. Coli counts decreased over 39%
- APC counts decreased over 23%
- Plant has made plans to expand use to other areas within the facility